The History of the Eagan Garden Club

The Eagan Garden Club was first organized in 1952 and was limited to twenty members as the monthly meetings were held in the members’ homes. In 1954, the club was split into two chapters; the Jonquil Chapter on the West side of Pilot Knob Rd., and the Rose Chapter on the East side.


Back in the 1950’s, club activities consisted of creating fundraising ideas, fun program activities and community and charitable volunteering. Activities during the year included helping at the Vets Hospital, member and family picnics at Minnehaha Falls and annual Christmas parties.


In 1955, the Jonquil Chapter launched a flower show which became an annual public event and ran yearly well into the 1970’s. The Rose Chapter soon followed with their own flower shows starting in 1957. Because of the clubs’ popularity and increased membership, additional chapters were created in the early 1960’s. The Gladiola, Sunflower and Daisy Chapters were formed in various areas of Eagan. By the mid-1960’s, the five chapters’ membership totaled over 100. Toward the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, individual chapters began to disband and in 1974 the individual chapter executive board members combined and the name was changed to the Eagan Garden Club, which it remains today.


Over the years, the Eagan Garden Club has been involved in many community and city sponsored projects including maintaining the gardens of the Wescott Library, Cedar Pond Park, Holz Farm Gardens, Trapp Farm Park and the Open Door Food Shelf garden. The Club has participated in various beautification projects over the years by donating and planting trees, perennials and annuals at various schools, parks and Eagan City landmarks. Today, the nearly 60 members enjoy monthly educational presentations, annual bus tours, holiday and garden parties and all is funded by an annual plant sale, which the Eagan Community looks forward to each May.


In March 2016, volunteer members of the Eagan Garden Club began a collaborative garden program with residents at the Commons on Marice Retirement Community. 


Also in 2016, Holz Farm Garden volunteers were awarded a plaque commemorating a total of 2500 volunteer hours which was presented at an Eagan City Council Meeting in May.